Brand New Start

          Happy new year. I normally dread the last day of December. I’ve never gone in for walking around the block with a lump of coal, or whatever it is you’re supposed to do, much less dive in fountains. The fireworks in London looked impressive on the television, but we had no desire to push our way through crowds of drunk strangers to watch them.
          I’m never quite sure what you’re supposed to do come New Year. Originally, we weren’t even going to wait up until midnight, we were going to go to bed early. But then we started watching the Queen concert. So we sang a verse of Auld Lang Syne ironically. But neither of us felt like we were going to take 2015 by the throat.
          All it’s really meant to me, over the years, is that Christmas is over, whatever about the decorations coming down on January 6th. On January 2nd, you’re going back to work, and it won’t be as relaxed or as cheerful as it was on the run up to Christmas Eve.
          I do love Christmas. I know what I’m doing at Christmas. I love buying the perfect present for my wife (I’m getting quite good at it after 20 years). I love receiving presents- Remembrance of the Daleks this year! I love cooking the roast dinner, even if I haven’t mastered gravy yet. I love going to mass, either on Christmas Eve or Christmas morning. The sun was out when we walked to our church, it was frosty but exhilarating. The one or two people out at the time wished us a merry Christmas. We sang carols, out of tune but with gusto. And we left feeling on top of the world.
          Mass, for me, is Christmas. Everything else, really, is icing on the cake. As we walked home (we walked through a park on the way back, only to find that all the other gates were still locked, so we had to exit from the one we entered from), we felt buoyant and optimistic. That would have done me for the beginning of the new year. If you belong to another religion, say Islam, Christmas might not mean the same to you, but you’ve got Ede. I suppose committed atheists might get something out of the day, if they spon our end the day thinking about the wonder of life. But if all Christmas means to you is buying and receiving more and more presents and stuffing your face, then I feel sorry for you.
          A funny thing happened to me on New Year’s Day, though. After a leisurely breakfast, when we talked about the year we’d been through, we realized that we’d had an awful lot to put up with. We’d been through a big legal thing in 2013, which we still weren’t the better of. My dad’s death, in 2012, and the awful, unnecessary and painful fallout from that, was still on our minds. 2014 became, really, something to be got through, a stalling for time.
          2015 is, I hope, going to be different. My wife and I are good in crises- just as well, really, since we’ve had plenty of them. But that means, too, that when we plan things, and carry through those plans, we get things done. So that’s what we’re going to do: get some projects underway.
          As soon as I got back to work, I downloaded a list of plumbers, to see which ones might be best for installing a washing machine.

Comments

Popular Posts